Remember the blouse pattern that gave me so many problems mostly because I figured I was too smart for directions? I used it again. I’m still ignoring some of the directions. I think the pattern makes some parts far more difficult and tedious than the parts need to be.
I went through my fabric stash and found this fabric. I have no idea why I bought the fabric and I can’t remember if I bought it or Jim bought it. Once Jim learned he could pick out fabric for his boxers and shirts, he loves buying fabric.
I took a deep breath before I used the fancy thread for fancy stitches on this blouse. Superior Threads had quite a sale a while back and I got the thread for half price. This is good because the thread, 100% silk, is usually $16 a spool. I love this thread. I will need to sell lots of art to support my new silk thread habit.
I’ve been working on teapots. The spout may look goofy, but it’s piddle proof. The spout – which I learned at a seminar given by someone whose name I’ve forgotten – is patterned after the spout on a kerosene can. It’s not good to have kerosene piddling all over the table, so someone designed a piddle proof spout.
I tried a new approach to lids. I cut out a circle the size of the opening and used a golf ball to form an indentation in the top. The advantage is that it’s easy to hook a tea ball on a chain over the edge of the pot and still have the lid on the pot. It’s also easy to hold the lid on while pouring tea that goes only in the mug.
I tried a different approach to this lid. I saw the idea for the lid in a magazine. I cut out a circle, used the golf ball to make an indentation, and then flipped the lid over so it’s bump side up. The pot didn’t look right. After some thought and consideration regarding pitching the pot, I twisted two coils and make a wreath around the top. I like how it looks. Jim made me 1/8″ thickness sticks so I could roll out a thin slab. Finally, a flange that doesn’t make me cringe.
Now, I have to rethink how I’m going to glaze the pot. I was going to use underglazes, pointillist approach, and try to emulate a photo of a hummingbird nest that was on Facebook. I though leaving the finger marks from coil building would help with the nest effect. It probably would, but the twisted coil wreath makes hummingbird nest a bad idea for glazing. I’m now considering using a glaze that will float and flow with the hope that the glaze will highlight the finger marks. I was planning on either leaving the inside unglazed or using only underglazes on the inside. Maybe I’ll do nest pointillist on the inside. A pot suffering from dissociative personality disorder made by an artist who has bipolar disorder. If I try hard, maybe I can come up with a pot that has a half-dozen different DSM-V diagnoses.
Several years ago, I saw the Chihuli exhibit at the Albright-Knox gallery in Buffalo, NY. There was one display of glass bowls that looked as if they were undulating. They gave the impression of some life form under water moving with the current. I decided to try to have the same effect with a pinch pot. I’m not where I want to be, but I’m making interesting pinch pots while I figure it out.
I’ve been making the undulating pinch pot bowls, and I wanted to do something similar with a pinch pot vase. This is a small version and a first attempt. I got the second coil of clay added without a seam that screams added clay. I’m not sure I like the form, though. I’ll have to do a little more playing around before I’m ready to make a life-size vase. It needs to be less top heavy and I have to keep flowers and balance in mind while I’m undulating the pot. Maybe I’ll like this pot better after it’s glazed.
There are some great artists on the web. Take a look at what Nina Marie has been doing. Click here.