Posted in Uncategorized

From the 8/28/16 Glaze Firing

I did a glaze firing on Sunday and we unloaded the kiln today. The good news is, I got even heat in the middle and the top. Things on the bottom shelf will have to be fired again because the glaze didn’t melt. I have an Olympic Torchbearer gas kiln, and it’s notorious for firing unevenly. I will figure this kiln out. No inanimate object is going to get the best of me. So there!

I was playing with pointillist type poking using underglazes. I like some of the results. The Velvet Underglazes turn darker when they are fired to ^6 and I’m not used to having to think in colors that are radically different from what’s in the jar.

IMG_2545

I didn’t cover the white clay completely with pokes, and I think the mugs came out nicer because of that.

IMG_2564

The vase in the middle was an attempt to fix a problem. It’s only been about 35 years or so since I painted. I painted the sunflowers then realized I should have painted the background first. I managed to get the background in around the flowers.

The vase on the right came out much darker than I had thought.

IMG_2540IMG_2539

I need to figure out a way to blend the colors more on the insides of these pots.

IMG_2535IMG_2533

These were supposed to look as if the insides were under water. I’ll have to keep working on that.

IMG_2531IMG_2530

I don’t remember what I was trying to accomplish with the center pot.

IMG_2594

The good news: I like how the teapots came out. The bad news: these pots are nonfunctional. I made an error with the design of the spout. This particular spout doesn’t piddle. I know that because I have another pot I made several years back that doesn’t piddle. But… the problem is that if I tip the pot enough for the water to come out the spout, then the lid falls off and water comes out the top of the pot. I did a little rearranging with the spout on a pot that hasn’t been bisque fired yet.

IMG_2583IMG_2585

IMG_2577IMG_2579

When I made this pot, I hated the lid. It was ugly beyond belief. I decided to try one thing before I trashed the pot. I twisted two coils together and put them around the lid. Now, I’ve got a pot I like.

IMG_2624IMG_2628

I did not build this pot well and there are a couple major cracks in the side. I knew it wasn’t going to be a pot I could sell, but I decided it would be worthwhile to use the pot for a glaze experiment. I put PC Art Deco Green in the fern leaves. Then I covered the green (and the rest of the pot) with Hibiscus shino. I love the shade of green that I got. I have some platters with the fern motif and they haven’t been bisque fired yet. That gets done this weekend. I’m looking forward to using this glaze combination on them.

IMG_2590

The pot in the middle, with the green lines, is actually a blooming yucca. You can’t see the flowers because the underglaze I sued wasn’t heavy enough. The pot on the right was a forest through the trees experiment. I like the concept, but I have to work on execution more.

Advertisements

Author:

I retired from the Public Defender Dept. November 12, 2015 after 21+ years as a criminal defense attorney. Now, I'm a full time multi-media artist and writer starting on a new adventure. As an artist, I create with beads, fabric, fiber, and ceramic clay. Sometimes separately; sometimes in assorted combinations. You can find my on-line store at: www.debthumanart.com.