It’s time to start selling art, so I put some of my mugs into my etsy shop. We’ve got a local farmer’s market where local artists sell their work. Unfortunately, that’s not an option for me now. Jim and I wanted to do something different together so be both got a hernia. No lugging tables and boxes for at least another six months. Jim gets his hernia fixed in December. I find out next week when I can get mine fixed.
I avoid putting my work in galleries. Both of us have had terrible gallery experiences: work that got damaged, work that disappeared, not getting paid in a timely manner….. If I wanted that much stress, I wouldn’t have retired. So… I’m trying an etsy store.
To visit my shop, Click Here
Because I can’t work with clay for a while, I’m playing with my other art toys. I’ve been spending quality time with the Canon Rebel. I went to the Downtown Mall on Wednesday to practice street shots. I wanted to take photos that were different from the way over done look-down-the-street shot. Being a fiber artist, I was looking for texture and things I could translate to fabric, beads, and embellishments.
There’s a restaurant on the Downtown Mall. I’ve never eaten there so I can’t comment on the food, but I sure do like the door. I have options for how I want to translate these photos. Batik using bits of the metalwork. Doing the rays with beads. Using the rays as a FMQ pattern.
For these shots, I played around with what I was focusing on. The farmer’s market was happening while I was shooting and that’s why there are ristras in the bottom photo. I can see doing a pictorial quilt, putting a sheer fabric over the top, and then using the metal work as inspiration for quilting with a dark color thread.
I looked for shots that would have funky texture.
Haven’t a clue yet how I will use these, but I like the texture.
Not your every day looking down the street shots.
The bottom photo gives me an idea for using a shadow on a quilt. I won’t use that shadow, but it’s a start for an idea.
In college, one of my majors was biology and my work concentrated on botany and cell biology. Jim bought me the last fully manual SLR that Canon made in 1980 and I spent many rolls of film shooting plants. Dead plant is different subject matter for me. I’ve never made a dead plant quilt, but maybe I should.
There’s a fountain on the Downtown Mall and I played around with shutter speed trying to stop the water. I left the camera on auto focus, and that made shooting at the precise second difficult. I also left the camera on single shot. Next time, I’ll use manual focus and continuous shooting.
I’ve been working on a crocheted bedspread. After reading instructions for dyeing yarn, I realized how messy and time consuming that would be. So I’m making squares and when I get enough squares, I’ll dye the squares.
I’ve also been working on a blouse from a Vogue pattern. First, I lost the instructions. No, I don’t know how I did that. I also don’t know where the instructions hid themselves. Not to worry – I’ve been sewing for 52 years. Surely I can figure out how to sew this blouse together. The figuring would be remarkably easier if only the notches would match up. That’s the second pattern lately to have markings not match. I’ve also had instructions tell me to sew a blouse together in the most difficult way possible. I know it’s difficult to write instructions, but mistakes this huge should not happen.